Noteable Quoteable

So my roomate Jake and I have started a new tradition of taking a great song lyric and hanging it on our wall for a week, in the hopes of compiling a list of songs which guided us through Freshman year. I figured we'd post what song we'd been digging, and the lyric which we posted up.

This past week we took the following lyric-

"God it's great to be alive/takes the skin right off my hide/to think I'll have to give it all up someday"

The lyric is taken from Daniel Johnston's song "To Go Home" off of his 1982 release "The What of Whom." His origional version of the song is incredibly lo-fi, and sounds like a young child is singing- mostly because, well, he was a kid when he recorded it. Yet, even at such a young age he was writing lyrics such as the one mentioned above.


Needless to say his talent still garners attention, as M. Ward covered this song on his 2006 release "Post War." His version is (obviously) more folksy and arguably more accessible, and is my personal favorite track off
of that album.









Ironically, our song choice for this upcoming week is also a cover. It is originally a song by Mark Mulcahy, frontman of the band Miracle Legion as well as the group Polaris (who sang the intro to Nickelodeon's The Adventures of Pete and Pete). Tragically, Mulcahy's wife died suddenly over a year ago, leaving behind both her husband and their three-year old twin daughters. Since that time, some amazing acts have covered a number of his songs which are to be compiled on Ciao My Shining Star: The Songs of Mark Mulcahy, the proceeds of which will go to helping Mulcahy's situation. The compilation is due out 9.29.



One such act is Radiohead frontman, Thom Yorke. The song Yorke covers is called "All For The Best." Maybe its Yorke's signature crooning, or the heartbreaking story behind the cover itself- but this is one of the most moving tracks I have ever heard.

For that reason, we couldn't just choose one lyric. We posted the whole song, so we will here as well.




Waking up, and the bed was made
No one looked me in the eye
The more I tried, the more I cried
But it's all for the best
Watch my brother cutting grass outside
Sitting on the porch, he told me:
"It's a long way to go, 'fore we can rest
But it's all for the best"

You're so beautiful it seems
On a lonely lazy morning
When I see you rocking back and forward
Whispering that it's all for the best

One day the stone will roll away
Soon you'll see
Far away from home but never far away from me
And that's all for the best
Promise me son, not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble
Promise me son, not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble

Say you love me
Say you love me
Say you love me

Say you love me
Say you love me
Say you love me
Let's just say you love me



Comments

Popular Posts