First post of 2009

So as the first post on this blog in almost a year I feel like I need to have some sort of a comeback,
for those of you that do not know what I have been doing, I am currently DJing a Weekly Radio show.
you can visit the site at http://wqfsthursdayvariety.blogspot.com, you can find downloads and playlists from the shows I do.

Now what do I do about new material here?

I do not know if this blog is going to have a resurgence or not, I do love music and I love sharing music with the masses. I feel like if this blog were to succeed I would need another blogger willing to pitch in and do some writing and posting. If you are interested please contact me via email: wqfsradio@gmail.com

I would like to welcome Conor to this blog, he will help with the writing and hopefully it will help this blog stay alive. We will compile a list of the top ten albums of 2008, which will be posted here shortly.

So without further ado here is the FIRST POST in a long time,
this post will be filled with rarities, covers,
all filled with info, downloads and links to buy of course.

Rarities
00's
Wilco - Venus Stop the Train
This piano driven gem has all of the soul that embodies Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. This song is actually found off of a bootleg that I got of the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot's Demo's. If you have never given Wilco a listen, you should now. To my knowledge you can't buy this album, but do a couple of search's online and see if you can, its worth it.
Buy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Demo's





90's
Sublime - Zimbabwe
This song is off of the deluxe version of Sublime's self-titled album (Which was the last album to be made with Bradley before he died). This take reminds me of a clean recording of some of Sublime's acoustic stuff. Bradley Nowell at his finest.
Like Sublime?
Check out the remaining band members new band : The Long Beach Dub All-Stars
buy Sublime Deluxe Version



John Mayer - Message In A Bottle Live and Acoustic
This cover of Message in A Bottle is from a concert of John Mayer's before his fame. This was recorded live between 1995-98. The album that this comes from was just titled as acoustic in a record store in NYC around 2003ish. This version is in my opinion superior than his version on As/Is.
buy?



Red Hot Chili Peppers - Love Rollercoaster
This song is a great cover of the Ohio Players version, incorporating the funky side of the Chili Peppers... think Freaky Styley with the "poppy"ness of their later albums. This song is found off of the movie soundtrack for Beavis and Butt-head Do America. There are other great songs off of this soundtrack including another cover, search and destroy, done by the Chili Peppers.
buy Beavis and Butthead Do America OST




Wailing Souls - Casey Jones
This reggae cover of the Grateful Dead's cocaine lovin' song is great. This cover is the best cover I have found in a long time, I was surprised to find it in a bargain bin at a yard sale. This song is off of the cover album Fire On The Mountain: A Reggae Tribute to the Grateful Dead. Check this out.
Buy Fire On The Mountain: A Reggae Tribute to the Grateful Dead.




70's
Pink Floyd - Embryo
This gentle, trance-like song used to be a frequent part of the Pink Floyd Shows, however it hasn't been played since 1971. This studio recording was never released but on an American compilation called Works. I also think it was put out in a bootleg in the 1970's. Embryo may have possibly been the younger counterpart to Sheep. Nevertheless, its cool and you should listen.
Buy Works


60's
Jimi Hendrix - Somewhere (Over the Rainbow)
This song is off of the bootleg titled : Unsurpassed Studio Takes. I don't know much about these songs other than they were probably recorded around 1968. Really good album, for upload purposes I had to load one that was under 7 mins long. Still its really good, well worth the listen.
buy Unsurpassed Studio Takes


Beach Boys - Satisfaction #1

This song is off of the bootleg titled Unsurpassed Masters Volume Vol. 10 - the 'Alternate Beach Boys Party'. this is a huge set of songs and material that wasn't used for the Party Album. Satisfaction is their rendition of the hit made famous by the Rolling Stones. Check it out.
Buy Unsurpassed Masters Volume Vol. 10 - the 'Alternate Beach Boys Party


Hopefully you will Enjoy these,

feel free to comment or send me stuff

Comments

Popular Posts